Wednesday, April 25, 2007

sleep expert

Lily did as well as could be expected today. She cried her little heart out during her shots. She was really good prior to that, reclining back on the examination table, ignoring the doctor whilst playing with the straps of her sundress. :) Well the doctor and I kind of came to loggerheads over Lily's waking me up at night. He said to let her cry and figure out how to get back to sleep. She cries when she's knocked off her blanket or is cramped in a corner and can't get out. I'm supposed to let her stay uncomfortable for the rest of the night? I wake up cold and go and get a blanket. I can't sleep if I'm too cold or too hot or too hungry. Why am I supposed to foist that on baby? I did ask for his help though. :)

I'm open to other suggestions. Pedro tells me to let her cry a little bit. I do. Sometimes, quite frankly, I haven't got the energy to get up! If she really cries (and the parents who read this know what I mean by that) then I'm up like a shot. I've let her whimper for long periods of time and she just doesn't fall back asleep on her own. She whimpered/cried between 3:30 and 4:30 this morning. I would wait 10 minutes or so and get up to see if I could help her. I kept covering her with her blanket and stroking her head. The poor little thing just couldn't get back to sleep until 4:30. I do understand letting her learn how to self-soothe but leaving a kid crying because they kicked off their blanket doesn't make sense to me.

I remember crying in my crib waiting for someone to come and help me. I'm sure I was a toddler by that point. I would cry and cry and my mom would finally show up, tired - of course. I felt kind of abandoned. I know that's a little melodramatic but it's the only thing close. I needed my mom and she showed up looking like she was carrying a grudge because I got her out of bed. I never felt soothed by that. It's like I had a need that never got fulfilled. I don't want that for Lily. AND I still have trouble falling asleep sometimes or getting back to sleep. Like many other people, I'm sure. So I don't think crying it out is the best solution. There I said it!

I am open to suggestions though. I believe that only I know what is best for Lily and I because I'm her mommy. :) So I guess a few more sleep deprived nights are in my future.

5 comments:

The Mom and Roxi Page said...

AUntie suggestion #1. Don't let her nap as much during the day. Learned that with Anthony when he was a babe. Get ger out of the house and do things that will help her bee tired when the time is right.

The Mom and Roxi Page said...

Sorry about my horrible spelling

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I can't see the sense in leaving a baby crying - you're not sleeping anyway at this point and they are getting more and more upset usually. This doesn't go on forever although it sure feels like it at the time. :)

Just keep doing what your heart tells you. You're a good mommy and Lily will grow up knowing that.

LzyMom said...

Thanks ladies. I've been trying to get up and feed Lily by 7 or 7:30 so that her meals all finish earlier in the day as well. I have faith that we'll get there - there being sleeping through the night. :) I just told Pedro that I feel very strongly about letting Lily cry without help. I mean a few minutes is okay. It's my personal opinion that she's not going to be spoiled by my being there for her. She'll know she's loved and cherished. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you.
Lv
Sarah