Thursday, January 10, 2008

Well, boo

As in, "boo, that sucks". One of my friends has a really sick nephew at the moment. They discovered he has acute leukemia. It doesn't sound very good. I'm not in the medical field but I guess if they have to give a 3 year old 2 blood transfusions before they can talk about bone marrow transplant, things are looking a little rough.

On top of that, there are all these stories about parents killing their children. There's the man in Alabama who threw his 4 kids (one only 4 months old) off of a 80 foot bridge. The rescue efforts are trying to recover bodies.

Seriously, people. He could just have easily have driven to a fire station and said "here, I can't take care of them anymore". Granted, I read he was an addict so I'm not sure what he was thinking. Sigh. I'm not sure if these things happen because the world seems to be so crowded and stressful, or if these kinds of things have happened all along in human history but because of our bigger population and media, we hear about them more often. Wow, how was that for a run on sentence?

Oh dear, Lily walked into a door and then stormed off in disgust. I guess she's a chip off of my block too. We're all a little cranky in the Thompson household today. Lily woke me up at 1:30 and kept me awake until after 3. I dug really, REALLY, deep into my patience and tried to talk to her and calm her so she could fall asleep on her own. It didn't work. I finally broke down and took her into bed with me. I think she fell asleep right away. I know I did.

I guess I should try to add a bright spot to the day. 1) the sick nephew is at a really good children's hospital 2) I had biscuits for breakfast 3) I have an adorable healthy daughter 4) after calling "Daddy" for 2 minutes (after he left for work) Lily finally called out "Mommy!" and I got a nice hug. :)

No comments: