Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ho-lee Crap!

We've had an interesting last couple of days. I'm not even sure where to begin! Let's see... I was going to go down to visit G-ma and G-pa on Friday but someone, SOMEONE, kept me awake for 3 hours Thursday night. So there I am, all bleary eyed Friday morning when I remind Pedro that the kitchen sink is plugged on one side. He blathered on about sticking a knife in there and blah blah blah. I was like, look, it's good and plugged. He had to take it apart and me, I had to go outside in the freezing temps in my pjs to "blast" almost freezing water through the pipe pieces Pedro handed me. So, fine, I do this.

It's hard to explain. It looked like something had evolved in the pipe and was now living there. I was fairly certain it was going to squeal once the cold water hit it. Fortunately, it did not and I managed to clean everything. So, fabulous, right? Well, Pedro puts everything back together and uh oh, the almost alive pipe blockage had been keeping the cracked u-bend from leaking. So, now we had a leak. Pedro sped over to the local hardware store and that story had a happy ending. (Do you get bad karma from dumping out almost alive pipe blockages??)

Yesterday we drove down to see G-ma and G-pa and all went well. We did some shopping and enjoyed one of my excellent carrot cakes. Fun, fun. Fast forward to today. We leave their house and take the scenic route through Jamestown, up to Williamsburg. It's lovely, we enjoy the ocean view and the sunny, if cold, skies. (not that we were up in the air). We hit the candy shop in Williamsburg and I got a yummy sandwich from the Cheese Shop. Good times! Cue ominous music.

So we're trying to get back on the interstate. Pedro floors it. Bear in mind, we have a packed car with at least 3 pounds of jelly beans. As Pedro continues to drive he notices the temp gauge going up and up. The little flashing temp light comes on. The engine light comes on. C-R-A-P So we're at the side of a very busy interstate, trying to figure out what the heck happened. I wasn't really in the mood to wax philosophical so it didn't take me long to call in the cavalry. In the form of Nicole and g-ma in the FJ. We tried to add antifreeze but nothing helped. Hopefully, I don't have something really wrong with my car. It's at the dealership near g-ma's house. G-pa was kind enough to loan us a car to get home.

You know, it's a pretty frustrating thing but I was really counting my blessings today. 1) no one ran into us on the interstate. 2. We were close enough to get help. 3. My car is still under warranty. 4. I have jelly beans. 5. Pedro finally got a new pair of shoes. 6. We made it home safely. 7. Lily spent hours in her car seat and didn't cry.

I think I'm getting distracted with my list. I was proud of myself today. When bad things like today happen, I tend to freak out first and think later. I skipped the freak out part. Mainly, I realized that I set the tone for Lily. As long as I stayed calm, she stayed calm. I might not always be able to do it but today I did. :)

*Y'all'll have to wait for Friday Facts, Monday version. :)

* You all will

** Lily LOVES noodles

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Here I am asking for your Friday Facts while you've been so busy!
And me? I haven't posted a FF in over a month so I suppose I'm tossing stones in my glass house. :)

Hope you have a good week!

LzyMom said...

Trust me - I'd much rather have been writing Friday Facts than standing outside disposing of questionable almost-organic lifeforms.

I have high hopes for this week! And I hope you have a good one too!