Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Movie Review

I don't know why I feel like anyone would be interested in my opinion but I wanted to write a little about some movies I've seen lately.

- Ma Vie En Rose- A french film about a young boy who's sure he was born the wrong gender. I thought it was a very sweet and sad film that showed the difficulties overwhelming the whole family as a result of the bigotry faced by Ludo.

- Tibet: Cry of the Snow Lion- I really didn't know much about the Chinese occupation of Tibet. I didn't know there was/is widespread torture and execution of Buddhist monks and nuns. The Tibetans are shut out of the economy and live in squalor outside of the Chinese occupied cities. It's another heart rending film. Loved the Chinese propaganda reels.

- When the Levees Broke- I was a little unsure about watching this documentary on New Orleans. Spike Lee seems to (I can't think of the word, pregnancy block) have a social agenda. And I'm not knocking him for that, but I didn't want to have 5 hours worth of lecturing. You know? I was so wrong. I felt he put together diverse views, touching stories of survival and the basic facts of what happened or didn't happen. It was amazing. Amazing. Lily got more crushing hugs in one night than I think she'd ever had in her life. It explained why some people couldn't leave, why some people didn't leave. The politics of the area. It was amazing. The story that really made me cry (and they ALL made me cry) was the mother who kept on telling her daughter (the better swimmer) to go on ahead to the next tree and she'd catch her up. And the daughter saying, no mom, I'm not leaving you behind. Darn it! Made myself cry again. argh It's not for the faint of heart though, it showed dogs chewing on dead bodies and floating swollen corpses. But that's what happened.

And no, I don't like watching "normal" movies.

Anyway, I'll try to get some more pictures of Lily up. I have lots of videos of her, but they take so long to load on here. I hope everyone's enjoying their Wednesday. :)

No comments: