Monday, October 10, 2011

Finally

Madi and I (and Lily) went to KCRC. Fortunately, there was a playroom with an attendant so I left Lily there while Madi and I saw the doctor. I guess this guy was new because he was actually helpful. hahahaahh No, I mean, he really was. He said that he's seen a total of 3 Cris du Chat kids in his time practicing and he ain't no spring chicken. He said those kids are rare but rarer still are kids like Madi who have a partial deletion. He said it's only been in the last few years that the genetics tests have been good enough to detect anomalies like Madi's.

So he knows his stuff. Hurrah!

He encouraged me to go back to the genetics doctor and get more of an explanation. And also to go online and find parent support groups related to Madi's issues. He said because it's "new" sometimes parents have more info than docs because they've already tried so many things. There's no framework in place to treat someone like her. I've basically got all bases covered.

And I adored him because he said there's nothing that I can do to make Madi sleep. Yes, a routine is important but her sleep issues are neurological. He wants me to be more aggressive in treating her sleep issues because sleepy time is when kids develop and grow. Not to mention, we're all one step away from being zombies. He recommended a drug to help keep Madi asleep. I'll use the melatonin to get her to sleep (if needed - usually it's not) and then the other stuff to help her stay asleep. I can't remember the name of it. lol

I was up til 2:30 coughing. I have my own prescriptions to pick up. *eyes*

So yeah, I'm not disheartened that there's no way of officially treating her because I already had a sense of that. We'll keep up with school and hopefully take whatever comes. :)

No comments: