Wednesday, March 28, 2007

genetic throw down


No fewer than 3 people told me yesterday that as Lily gets older she looks more and more like her dad. Basically when people meet Lily and I for the first time they say to me, "Oh, she looks JUST like you." Then Pedro walks in and they say, "I was wrong, she looks like her daddy!" He certainly can't say she's not his, because she is the spitting image of him. Boy parts excluded, of course. But I wish she looked a little more like me. Just a little. She acts like me and has some of my best faces down already. I am kind of minutely famous for all the funny faces I make. I'll have to get over it but I wish I saw more of myself in her. I know she's mine, I pushed that big lump out of me, but it would be nice to see some reflection of me in her. When I hold her up to look in the mirror and we look at each other, there's so little resemblance, if any. Sometimes I wonder if people think I've adopted her. I'm so white I glow in the dark and she's got that beautiful latina skin. She has black hair and dark brown eyes. I've got reddish hair and blue/gray eyes. It's hard for me to look at us and see any relation. Her doctor told me this theory he heard where in pre-human times a baby that looked more like its father was less likely to be tossed from the cave. I thought, they didn't have mirrors back then so how would the father know what he looked like?

Anyway, I'm spending a lot of time complaining over something I have no control over... for now. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No comments: