Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Grateful for the little things...

So Pedro is still in the hospital.  And people are asking what happened and so I don't have to repeat myself too many times here we go.  :)

So a couple of weeks ago, he started drinking a lot of water.  A lot.  And of course, said water had to come out.  I'm not being funny, but one of the signs of diabetes is drinking more water AND eliminating it.  Getting rid of the ketones.  Or something.  I guess I shouldn't pretend that I totally know what I'm talking about.

He borrowed a blood pressure cuff from his mom because his BP was high last time he was at the doc's office.  Last night, he was complaining that it wasn't working right because the readings were so high.  So I took mine and it was fine.  Well, then he asked to borrow my old blood sugar meter. 

And YES I always say that I tested positive for gestational diabetes, BUT I had shingles and didn't know it when I went in.  A major illness like that can skew test results.  And I was always under the cutoff when I tested myself.  (except for that one time I had cheesecake)  In face, my readings were starting to read on the low side (77) so I let myself eat pizza.  I figured the baby needed some calories!

So THAT being said, I still had my meter.

It said 486.  And I looked at Pedro, as if he was going to explain that to me.  I thought the machine was broken.  I didn't even know you could get a reading that high.  So I tested myself, and thankfully, my result was normal.*  So we tested him again and it was even higher. 

He called his parents and they urged him, repeatedly, to go to the emergency room.  I tried to talk him into going by himself but he wanted us there.  Which is understandable.  Also understandable is the fact that small children don't wait so well.  Anyhoo, he went up to register and never came back.  Lily finally prodded me to find out what happened to him.  They took him into a room right away.

I'll be honest.  Although I learned enough to get through my pregnancy, I didn't know much about diabetes.  One of my friends on the rescue squad said he could've gone into a coma.  I didn't know.  He didn't know.  So yes I am grateful.  It could've been worse.  The weather, though raining, was warm so I didn't have to bundle the girls up and deal with jackets.  The waiting room was relatively empty.  His nurse told him she was also a diabetic and that once we get this under control he will feel so much better.  I'm grateful to g-pa for driving up last night so I could feel better about taking the girls home and trying to sleep.  I'm grateful for friends offering to help.  Even though I'm not very good at accepting it!  lol  We all have our things.

Knowing my husband the way that I do, this is the easy part.  Getting him to change his diet and his habits is going to be the long hard slog. 

whew.  So now I am ready to nap.  Madi didn't get her medication last night and didn't sleep well AT ALL.  I needed to wash some sheets and towels in case g-pa needs to come over and crash.  Once I get those in the dryer, my butt is going to bed! 

Thanks everyone for your wishes for a speedy recovery for him.  Quite frankly, I know what a PITA he will be once he gets home so I'm trying to enjoy my calm before the storm.  :)

Peace!

* I am a complete and total sugar junkie.  I eat cookies and chocolate like the world is ending.  I know I shouldn't and I try not to but there it is.  This is why I go to the gym and run outside with Brewster.  And thankfully, that works!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Same thing happened to Annona. Yes she is a cat. But diabetes is diabetes. Drinking crazy amounts of water. Rapidly losing weight. Etc. hugs to everyone. Diabetes is manageable but no joke. XO

Unknown said...

Hers was up in the 400s too. Um. I have no advice. Except make sure the insulin is in the fridge. And if his sugar drops too low rub some honey on his gums. Wait. That might only work on cats. :)