Monday, February 8, 2010

Enough already

So yes, we made it through what? Winter storm #3? 4? This one was really bad though. We had a thick layer of sleet over and under a fair amount of snow and that has brought a lot of trees down. I feel lucky that we have our power back already. It went out 12:15am Friday night(Saturday morning?) and came back 11:15 Sunday night. So almost 48 hours. The first day I was kind of excited to have my mettle tested. By Sunday, I was definitely over that. Okay, so I made scrambled eggs Saturday morning in a cast iron pan on the grill Paula Deen style (1/4 stick of butter) and I heated up water to clean with and made soup. Then it got old. Tromping out to the wood pile. Watching the fire all night. Even when it wasn't my turn, it was hard to sleep as the pops would wake me up.

All in all, not a good time. But we made it. The house at its lowest got to 52F, which was warm, apparently. Someone from Pedro's company walked by and said his place was 38F. OUCH I'm glad we all stayed warm and well fed. I guess I feel like, since I know that I can do it, I don't need to do it anymore. I spent hours (HOURS!) shovelling the heavy snow/sleet from one side of the driveway, only to have the pine trees there break and block the way out. I can't even print what I said when I found that out. I took this pic around 7am Sunday morning. Oh and after all the snow fell it went down to 11F overnight. yay

I know, we could've gone to a shelter but the thought of mingling with others and not having stuff handy would've driven me batty. I am grateful that we had a fireplace and a good supply of wood AND that I made sure we had enough food and drink for a few days. Madi, thankfully, took everything in stride but now she's so used to sleeping with a bed full of people she's not so interested in her crib anymore. SIGH I think, out of all of us, she had the best time. She was always around people and entertained by us. Even when we were ready to all kill each other.

I guess it's like I just told Pedro "I know that we can do it and now I never want to do it again". This was the first night. You can see the potty in the lower right hand corner. Lily wasn't so sure about using it in a dark bathroom. Until we got the candle going in there. :)

This was night #2. Everyone's sleeping just a little bit closer. I think that it probably stayed in the 60s in the living room but it was never balmy. It's funny how used to sleeping in your clothes you get. Or something.

AND there's more wintry mix due here Tuesday....

No comments: