Friday, August 22, 2008

Mortified

Seriously. Mor-ti-fied. We went to Musikgarten today. It was a free trial at a local gym. M-O-R-T-I-F-I-E-D. Lily did NOT sit down the entire time. It was a clapping and singing in a circle deal. She did some marching, but other than that she tried to get out of all the doors in the room and tried to steal the remotes for the stereo. Sigh. But she wasn't disruptive with the other kids so it wasn't too bad. Except for when she went and hid behind a weight rack. I left her there cuz it was peaceful for 5 minutes at the end of class. SIGH.

I guess the good news is that I know what skills she needs to learn. She's not going to do well in kindergarten if she's running around the whole time. I've never played with her like that. She's always been allowed to roam free. I never thought of sitting with her and playing patty cake. That's not how we roll. But it's an important skill to have - sitting still. Pedro likes to say that she's still little BUT every other kid in there was around her age and they were sitting. A couple got up and roamed at times, but they all went back to their moms. Every time I took her hand she threw a fit. Sigh.

Anyway, I felt like the worst mother there. It's hard because my dad was so punitive that I'd get hit if I misbehaved. I don't want to do that to Lily but I don't know what else there is. So I kind of waffle around. Should I have put her in time out in the middle of class? I really don't know. It was a new situation for the both of us. But that's why I signed up for the fall class cuz I think it's important that she and I figure this out. :)

No comments: