Sunday, December 4, 2011

Yorktown

We had a fun time in Yorktown. Well, most of us did. *eyes*

I was happily talking to Stacy after our successful trip to see Santa and not paying attention to Madilyn. Madi remedied this by throwing a noodle at me. I love that child but she is growing up to be a spitfire!

Let's see, Lily, Stacy and I went to Yorktown beach and then to the Victory Memorial (commemorating the US and French victory over the British) and listened to a choir and then the Fife and Drum people. Don't know what to call them. It was great. Then we were given "candles" and we followed the fifers and drummers through historical Yorktown down to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony.

It felt... Like participating in an age old tradition. The Christmas tree thing started in 1945? but the procession felt much older. I'll have to research it. Anyway, it was an amazing night, cold and clear. :)

Then Santa Claus came. Lily was so cute. She cupped her hand to her mouth so she could really whisper in Santa's ear. I have a pic that I'll put up. I know, I know. I haven't even put up her birthday pics. gah

We picked up some pasta from Joe and Mimma's. Good thing Sarah and Pete were already on a cruise. :) I don't know, our food has always been good from there! Everybody dug in. :)

Saturday, we went back to the beach so we could look around a little bit. Madi kept me up a lot so I wasn't into a lot of exertion. I finally found the historical trail that you drive on. That was fun. We didn't see everything but we did see the French mass grave. It felt the most "real". A lot of the signs say "in the field to your right.." Well, there's nothing there so it's hard to imagine but the graveyard felt still and sacred.

That just reminded me of the time that my mom took me to my grandfather's grave, when I was about 10. I read a lot and had come across the phrase, dancing on someone's grave. So I asked her if that was his grave and when she said yes, I started dancing like mad on it. *snort* My g-pa wouldn't have been mad. He and I were tight like that. :) (We shared milkbones but that's another story)

My mother, however, looked like her mouth was full of sour milk.

hahahahahahhahhhaha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.