Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sigh

Well, we went to the see the Developmental Pediatrician today. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I think I thought I'd get some answers. He seemed glad that Madilyn is going for genetic testing on Monday. He didn't have any ideas about why she is the way that she is.

I was hoping for a little more.

Madi did get evaluated by their educational coordinator. She seemed pretty concerned (she said she was) about Madi's inability to communicate. No, she doesn't talk, but she doesn't point or nod or whatever, either. She put Madi's communication at an 8 month level. Which is hard to take but it's realistic. She put her cognition at likely an 11 month old's level.

Sad? Yes.

But she used the standardized testing that the schools use so now Madi is very likely to get in with the preschool program in Fluvanna. It's all day and very intensive. They have a PT and an OT there two days a week. The class is small and they work on everything that Madi needs help with.

I'm so frustrated. I have probably tried 100 times to get Madi to point to her nose. She's done it a few times but, as the tester noticed, there's no consistency. The only things that Madi recognizes consistently are "no" and "high five".

That's enough to get by on, right?

So tomorrow she goes to be fitted for braces/inserts to help support her ankles. I think she's keen to get walking because she "walks" around on her knees yelling. That's a good sign.

So what does all of this mean? I don't know. The teacher/tester said that there seems to be some sort of block between what we're saying and what's getting through to Madi - hence a hearing test on the 12th of May. Is her brain damaged? Is there a learning disability? We don't know.

That is frustrating.

My biggest fear is that she'll be like this forever.

My silliest hope is that she's actually a super genius and doesn't feel like our conversations are interesting enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your last statement. Right on! I am so glad you are having Madi checked out. I am praying that it is something simple and correctable. Her eyes are bright and there seems to be intelligence staring back out at you so I am hopeful. Hang in there darlin'.
M'Lou

LzyMom said...

Thanks M'Lou. She's getting frustrated now - you can see how much she wants to walk. Hopefully we can get her inserts by the end of next month. The doc has to fax the script, the orthotics guy has to call insurance, then I have to give my okay and the things will be ordered. GAH