Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy Days

No, no Fonz here. Okay, I'm weird. Anyway, we had a pretty good time for Memorial Day. Pedro finished putting in the study ceiling fan with considerably less swearing than the night before. Then we were off to the Luray Zoo and Luray Caverns. The zoo is almost all rescue animals. They had a hawk who'd been hit by a car and had a wing amputated, etc.

They also had one of the east coast's biggest collections of venomous snakes. Seriously. These were mostly pets that people couldn't take care of anymore. I started to get nervous. Even though there's the plexiglass window.... It's not a big lush exhibit like some zoos where you can't even see the snakes. These guys are inches away from you and will get pissed off. Lily ran into one room and startled the rattler. I could hear his tail. He didn't like Pedro either. :)

I really liked the zoo because the staff seemed to be genuinely enthusiastic about being there. It was small, and the people were "local" so everyone was polite and having fun. There were maybe two dozen of us there. :) Anyhoo, I recommend it. Not every day you get to see alligators fed and pet a yak. They have a tiger too but I didn't feel like watching it be fed. I'll save that for another trip. :)

Oh, and most of us had hats on because I found a tick on Lily Friday night. *faint* We don't go out that much but she does run around when I zip outside to do some gardening while Madi naps. Do they sell Deet showers?

And Lily wanted me to take this picture for Dada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to Lily and Madi kitty
g-ma