Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My MREs

Why so possessive you ask? Because I haven't served in the military and I'm sure that I'm doing some things wrong, but I figure other people have no idea what these are so this is just a little introduction.

First up - I feel like it's Christmas when I open my MRE bag. Chicken with Pasta in Pesto Sauce.  Ooh lala!


But what other treasures are inside? We'll start upper left hand corner and go around clockwise. We have the empty container, in which the food will be heated. Small packet is squishy processed cheese. Corn nuggets (aka corn nuts). "Condiment" bag. Chocolate pudding powder. (YAS!) Beverage heating bag underneath "Italian" bread sticks. Spoon. Chicken with pesto and noodles. Carbohydrate electrolyte beverage powder. (Lily loves them. They remind me of reconstituted gatorade. I hate them.)


Hokay. One of my favorite parts of this - the instructions."Rock or something" Not too fussy. The heater actually works quite well. Chemical reaction, something, again these are great for when you have no power, etc.

The contents of the "condiment" bag.  I'm not really sure what to call it. Again, clockwise from upper left corner: non dairy creamer, ground red pepper, instant coffee (says "pure coffee" on the back, thank Cthulhu), sugar, paper napkin, matches, gum, salt, and wet wipe. Seriously, these things have everything.

Squeezy cheese on some almost 5 year old italian bread. I lived. So far.

Ahhhh the main course. Did not suck. Quite a bit of chicken, almost no noodles. Flavor was... well, I ate it, okay? All of it. So it was not the best thing that I've ever put in my mouth, nor was it the worst. I did NOT eat those two bread sticks. 

I was going to make you imagine the chocolate pudding but in for a penny, in for a pound, right? We're not British, I know, just whatever. hmmmm If Jello pudding made a pudding cake that's what this would taste like. Again, not horrible but it's almost 300 calories for that little pouch so I'm going to see if I can pawn this off on Lily.

Fin.

No comments: