Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Confession

I know this is weird, but fireflies make me nervous. 

A long time ago, there was a show on tv.  Amazing Stories?  There were two similar shows so I don't remember exactly which one it was.  Anyway, it was about a vampire.  A very old man moved into a young boy's neighborhood.  The boy found the old man suspicious and started snooping.  He found a fridge full of blood.  ooooooh!  He was caught, of course, by the old man but the two of them became friends.  One night, the old man took the boy to a cemetery and showed him some lightning bugs, and told him to remember.  It was sweet but kind of so what.

In the meantime.... the other people in the neighborhood were complaining of aches and pains and some kind of flu.  One night, they all morphed into monsters and went into the old vampire's house and killed him.  The old man had explained to the boy that it was human's natural protection against vampires.  And he was waiting in his arm chair with a glass of blood.  eeeeek! 

So the next morning, everyone is horrified at the murder in their community but they all feel surprisingly better. 

The boy remembers what the old man says and goes back to the cemetery to see the fireflies.  And what happens the next day?  Everyone starts sneezing at him.  Run kid, run!

So there weren't fireflies where I grew up.  I'm not sure how old I was when I finally saw one.  But there are a lot where I live now and I get nervous whenever someone sneezes around me.  Not that I've ever met a vampire, mind you. 

It's silly the stuff that stays with you, huh?

No comments: